Label STEP has had an exciting start to 2024 celebrating the incredible success of our Partners at industry design and trade shows, including DOMOTEX in Hannover, Paris Deco Home and Maison&Objet in Paris, and COVER Connect Las Vegas. Through creative exhibitions and design awards, our Partners showcased the beautiful and tangible outcomes of careful craftsmanship and ethical practices.
DOMOTEX and the Carpet Design Awards
DOMOTEX, which took place in Hannover January 11 to 14, 2024 was a great success for STEP Partners, who took center stage at the 2024 Carpet Design Awards. These design awards are viewed as amongst the most important and prestigious within the world of carpets, celebrating innovation and creativity in carpet design. Out of the eight award categories, STEP Partners emerged victorious in five – a testament to how the best working conditions support the creation of the highest quality products and designs. The winners include:
- “Illuminata” by EDELGRUND won in the Best Flat Weave Design Award category.
- “The Raw Earth” by Stefan Heyer from Knots Rugs was awarded the Best Modern Design Deluxe.
- “1923 Runner” by Christopher Farr Editions won in the category Best Modern Design Superior.
- “Verso” by Gill Thorpe from FLOOR_STORY took home both the Best Collection and Best Interior categories.
Paulig1750, a cherished STEP partner, received the GREEN COLLECTION Award at DOMOTEX for their “Salsa Atoll.” Captivating the jury with its beauty and honesty in handweaving artistry, this rug reflects a thoughtful approach, incorporating safe, high-quality dyes, OEKO-TEX certification, and a robust commitment to social responsibility.
Panel Discussion “The Art of Storytelling with Rugs” Carpet Design Award Ceremony Green Collection Award Winner Paulig 1750
STEP has always prioritized ethical production practices, and the success at DOMOTEX reinforces the idea that fair trade and high-quality design can go hand in hand. We are proud of our Partners, who are not only committed to preserving traditional craftsmanship but also adept at pushing boundaries and embracing modern design trends. We view the recognition at DOMOTEX as a collective triumph in our mission to foster a more sustainable and ethical handmade carpet industry.
Maison&Objets and Paris Deco Off
Following the achievements in Hannover, STEP Partners grabbed the attention of the design world in Paris at Maison&Objet, from January 18 to 22, and Paris Deco Home, from January 17 to 21. The city became a canvas for other STEP Partners to exhibit their exquisite handmade carpets:
- Tai Ping Carpets presented the Callidus Guild Collection created by American designer Yolande Batteau.
- ClassiCon and SILVERA hosted an exhibition featuring hand-knotted rugs designed by the pioneering female designer Eileen Gray.
- Christopher Farr presented a showcase of hand knotted rug designs from the Afghan production, as part of CF Editions. Highlighting the expansion of the production in Afghanistan, where Christopher Farr works with skilled artisans and craftspeople.
- A showcase of Jan Kath designs was staged at Salle Erard.
- At Place Saint-Sulpice, E.BOEHM presented their first exclusive collection “Ruissellement,” which takes inspiration from the metamorphosis of nature.
Tai Ping Carpets ClassiCon Christopher Farr Jan Kath E.BOEHM
COVER Connect Las Vegas: Discovering New Audiences
The busy month culminated with COVER Connect Las Vegas, which took place January 24 to 26, 2024. The annual boutique trade fair for high-end rug brands brings together designers, retailers, and enthusiasts to explore the world of handmade carpets. STEP Partners participating in COVER Connect had the opportunity to introduce their products to a wider audience, creating sales opportunities and expanding their reach.
Paving the Way for More Change
The collective success of the show in January demonstrates the industry’s growing interest in and tangible outcomes of empowering artisans, promoting ethical practices, and celebrating the art of handmade carpets. As always, Label STEP remains dedicated to shaping a future where craftsmanship, sustainability, and fair trade principles converge for the prosperity of artisans and the industry as a whole.